Stop and smell the roses…before & after

I don’t have a green thumb like my Mom used to have or my sister has. My little Siss grows the most beautiful Orchids while I can’t even keep a cactus alive! My husband gave me a beautiful bouquet of roses the other day for our (25th) Wedding Anniversary! Knowing that he knows (hehe), that I can’t keep plants and cut flowers alive for very long,  it was still nice to shower me with a bunch of roses! Like, who does not like roses right? Sure enough the next morning already this is what they looked like. 😦Rose10I know, it is sad! All my resurrection attempts were unsuccessful so I used the following method to still being able to enjoy the flowers for a long time to come!

I snipped the roses’ heads off about 1″ underneath the flower and discarded the stems. I have this large, rather long, vase that I filled with dry Spanish Moss (Dollar store). On top, as you will see in the pictures further down, I used some excelsior but you could also use some nice green moos that would look very nice too (I just did not have enough for this big container). Next I took some of those roses  and just stuck them right into the excelsior. They now will nicely dry this way and not much else can go wrong from now on! I won’t have to worry about watering them either! If you have some small decorative pearls from the dollar store you could add those also. What you could also do is take a nice ribbon, color of your choice, and tie that all around the vase! Empty

 

 

Rose9Don’t you think this looks pretty? Recycled roses :-).

Still have a few roses left so I used one of my cement candleholders and filled it with a small amount of green moss that I had left from another project. To add some interest I incorporated a chicken feather (also from the Dollar store, I love the Dollar store 😉 and another small pearl plus I tied some twine  around it; voila!

You could use all sorts of containers that you might have around for something like this. How about a teacup with saucer? Even an empty tin can will look lovely dressed up like this. The rest of the rose buds I will take apart and let them dry and use for a future project! Mission accomplished and nothing wasted, except for the stems…

This entry was posted in DIY. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s