My mom always made this herb butter, and it is what we put on our steaks. We did not have steak sauces and such when I grew up (guess that tells you something about my age, ouch)…
My own family loves it also so when I make it, I make a large amount; after all it is a bit of work. ;-). There is literally hundreds of different recipes out there but here is mine:
- 4 pounds of salted butter, cut up and softened
- a bunch of chives, (about 1 1/2″ in diameter)
- a bunch of parsley, (see above)
- 5-6 sprigs of fresh Rosemary, taken off stems and chopped finely
- about 10 leaves of sage, chopped finely
- a bunch of oregano, taken off stems and chopped finely
- a bunch of thyme (see above)
- 2 whole garlic bulbs, peeled and minced (w.garlicpress)
- about 1 tbsp. of fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp. of turmeric
- some paprika
You noticed I did not always give exact amounts. If you don’t like one or the other herb; leave them out. Chop all the herbs and add all the other ingredients and mix well with the butter. If possible in a food processor as this is the least messy method.
You can now either make “Rosettes” like I did. I like them because this way I can take the amount out of the freezer that I want. I put them onto a parchment paper lined baking tray and freeze them. Once frozen I take them off and put in a large Tupperware container and place back into the freezer. You could also form a few logs, about 1 1/2″ in diameter, and wrap into parchment paper. This way you can just cut off what you need. You can also put portions in smaller Tupperware containers to freeze as well. This butter is excellent to use like you would use a store bought garlic butter!
(You don’t need to make 4 pounds like I did, i just prefer to make it in bulk. It is also something you can bring to a BBQ party as a Host/Hostess gift etc).
If you have a question please ask!